Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 35-37: PAPERWORK COMPLETE!!!

Day 35-37: Monday-Wednesday.    

           

Sorry that I haven’t updated the Blog in the last few days.   Max and I have been busy, and I have been rushing around getting the last of our paperwork done before the US Embassy closes on Friday for a holiday.   

 

The big news is:  WE ARE FINALLY DONE WITH PAPERWORK!!!!!

 

           [Camera Zooms out as Sam dose his happy dance]

 

Today (Wednesday) Max and I got up at 0630 and ate some breakfast,  while Yuri was already down at the train station picking up Max’s passport.  Helen had put the passport on the train in Zaporizchya via overnight post.  Yuri came and picked us up at 0755, and we went to the US Embassy to drop off our complete paperwork package for Max’s U.S. Visa.  Luckily, Rebecca had already pre-filled out most of the papers, so I just had to sign them for the embassy clerk, and then schedule my interview appointment.  This part of the process only took about 10 minutes, but I still had to go to the Kiev Medical Center to get Max’s medical clearance for the USA, and his vaccination record.  I ended up having plenty of time, as my embassy interview was scheduled for 2:00 PM.

Yuri drove me over to the medical center, which was about 15 minutes away from the embassy.  Yuri was wonderful. It was the easiest doctor’s appointment I have ever been to.  Yuri was inside filling out all the paperwork, handling the translation of the paperwork, and waiting for the doctor, while Max and I played on the playground outside.   It was like taking a number, but having someone hold your place in line while you relax somewhere else.  Max only had to be in the office for about 15 minutes during the actual visit with the doctor.  Meanwhile, he was thoroughly enjoying playing with some new friends outside.

While we were at the playground, we met the Kennedy family from Roanoke, Va who had just adopted 3 sisters! The girls were absolutely wonderful with Max.  The sisters were 10 yrs/ 9yrs/ and 7 yrs.  Max was in hog heaven making himself a nuisance when possible, and laughing as they chased him around.  I’m sure he will love having three sisters of his own soon!!  It turns out that the Kennedy’s will be going home on the same flight as us, so we hope to be seated near them (instant entertainment for Max).

Yuri called me once it was our turn to see the doctor, and we went in to a small exam room.  The doctor was very nice, but she scared me a little when she said “ I see he has congenital heart disease?”    I was caught off-guard, because we had been assured that he did not by the orphanage doctors.  She continued her exam I told the doctor “I thought that was ruled out” .  She explained to me that she was actually a cardiologist, so she would be able to tell more as she progressed with the exam—in other words “just be quiet and wait”.  When she got to the part where she examined his heart and cardiovascular system, she said “Oh, I was wrong—his heart is just fine!” 

I said “Oh good, because mine was about to have a problem!”

            The doctor finished her exam, and gave Max a clean bill of health to come to the USA.  She also gave me his complete vaccination record translated into English, so we can have a place to start when he gets his U.S. doctor.   His vaccinations were all well-taken care of, but I noticed that he does not have his Influenza Vaccination for 2008 or 2009.   This worried me a little, because we are flying through JFK, and the USA is in the beginning of the Swine Flu scare.  I don’t like the idea of Max being exposed to a bunch of new bugs in the flying Petri dishes of the JFK commuter scene-Bleh!  We’ll just make sure to wash hands a lot I guess.

            Once we were done with the medical center, we had a few hours to kill until the embassy interview, so Yuri, Max, and I grabbed some lunch at a local Italian restaurant. If you are looking for an Italian fix, try the place just to the right of the T.G.I. Friday’s near Arena city.   The food was great. After lunch, Max got to have some more fun at our favorite Syvchenko park.  The park was filled with children, and Max also enjoyed the blow up jumpy house-complete with 25 ft slide!   He protested kicking and screaming when Yuri and I finally pried him from “his” jumpy house when it was time to go the embassy. 

            We arrived at the U.S. Embassy 30 minutes early for my interview, and surprisingly they took me early.  I had to give them the sealed medical envelope that the doctor’s office gave us, and Max’s passport.  Then an embassy official invited me over to one of the interview booths to conduct Max’s immigration interview.  The interview consisted of swearing me in, and then signing the documents that I had already filled out in the presence of the embassy official—that was it!  Then he informed me that I would need to wait for about one hour while they processed the visa. 

            Luckily there was a nice quiet waiting room down the hallway with lots of toys and books for Max to entertain himself with.  He seemed more interested in the light switch though, and proceeded to flip it on and off for the next half hour.   Luckily our friend Natalie showed up with Maxime for their interview appointment, so Max had a friend to play with.  The embassy finally called both Natalie and I to the window at the same time, and handed us our children’s passports with their visas printed inside.  They told us to verify all the names and dates were correct, and then gave us all the instructions for when we arrive in the states.   They also handed us a sealed official envelope for US immigration when we arrive.

            Then Natalie and I were left standing there looking dumbfounded that we were both finally done!! The adoption saga was finally over!!!  All the traveling to the far ends of the earth, puking in cars, and searching for children is finally done!  Well, aside from the adventure of flying home…. J    Natalie and I gave each other a big congratulatory hug, and then I met Yuri outside the embassy gate.  Max was exhausted at the end of the day, and almost fell asleep in his cheerios before bed!

             Over the next two days, I plan to go check out the WWII museum with Max, and pick up some supplies for the pane on Saturday.  Today is “hump day”, so only two more days and a wake up!   Max and I will be able to go the “citizens” line when we get to JFK, as he will be a citizen as soon as his feet touch U.S. soil.  It will supposedly take an hour to process everything as we get the final stamp from immigration, and then off to catch our connection to Norfolk.   See you on Saturday! So Excited to introduce everyone to Max!

Love,

Team Chaos

 

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! I think all the delays (holidays, plane reservations, paperwork, etc.) were, in fact serendipitous. Great father:son time as is obvious from reading this blog.

    You were so fortunate to have Yuri and Helen, et. al as your 'in country' adoption liaisons. If you can, give them a huge thank you from a grateful 'Babuska #2', Ma B

    Love and many hugs and kisses; wish we could be in Va Bch. next weekend

    Ma B

    ReplyDelete